Recreated the Martha Washington Bathing Gown

This has been on my sewing bucket list for quite a while now, it is Martha Washington's bathing suit dated to 1767-69. It is completely hand sewn; I used a basic shift pattern, without the cuffs at the wrist and added a slit to the neckline on the centre front. I also added lead weights to the hem, as on the original, which would have been used to help weigh the bottom of the gown down when in water. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but am looking forward to warmer weather so that I can!

 

The last two photos are courtesy of Mount Vernon, you can read more about the bathing gown here: https://www.mountvernon.org/…/browse-the-mus…/object/w-580/…

Leave a comment